Saturday, January 22, 2011

Traveling Around Toledo

Today was a wonderful day!  Some of the MD people at about 7 Aussies went with one of the Alcalingua professors to Toledo at 10am today for the whole day.  It was so nice!  We visited the Cathedral, the Alcazar (fortress), the Santa Cruz Museum which used to be a hospital and had statues, tapestries, and paintings from as far back as the 12th century.

It was also really nice to spend the day with the Australian students that are at Alcalingua because they are only here for one more week and because we share a lot of cultural similarities.  They are all so so nice and I'm really going to miss them!!!

So we were dropped off at the bottom of the city because the streets are too narrow for the bus to get around.  Toledo is a city on a hill, as you can see from the beautiful panorama below!

 I look and am very cold and staring into the sun haha!
 This was our travel group for the day!
A view of the Cathedral from across the river.  It really defines the city line.


We first walked into a gorgeous plaza were a few of us popped into a bakery and bought some pastries and Marzipan.  Toledo is famous for it's Marzipan.  We then headed towards El Museo Santa Cruz (The Santa Cruz Museum).



 The first floor had all tapestries and then to get to the section on old ceramics we had to pass through this very moorish looking courtyard.  Apparently this building used to be a hospital.  I found that out from the Spain book Mom got me! Thanks Mom!

In the main building up a floor were works of art.  There were many original Greco paintings.  This one is not only an original, but it is also in it's original alter framing.  There were also some small sculptures and older pieces of carvings.

After the Museum we headed past the Alcanzar.

 It was closed so we didn't go inside, but it was massive and very beautiful.
 Random Church.
 We then headed over to the Cathedral.  Below is the courtyard in front of the Cathedral.
 

 

The Catedral de Toledo
The statues along the façade and all along the top are just beautiful.  This cathedral is just so breathtaking.

This is the main alter with a gold leaf covered retable with various religious pictures.

After the Cathedral we had a bit of time to ourselves to walk around and shop.  I was reminded of my Mom many times as I passed a window with Lladrós in it.
 Don't worry Mom, I didn't forget :-)  I'm just waiting for one that I find that has some significance.  While looking, my decision to study abroad was confirmed by what I'm going to call a sign.  As I was browsing the Lladrós in a random store window, I found one that I am fairly certain is identical or at least VERY close to the one that my parents had on the top of their wedding cake.
Now I'm not 100% sure, but maybe you can verify Mom and Dad?

After shopping we walked around the city some more and then made our way home.  It was really a lovely day.

The view from the other side of the Tajo river.  The longest river in Spain.

3 comments:

  1. Ellie. Yes, you found the Lladro that I bought for our wedding cake! I bought it in Ireland or England when I traveled there with Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cathedral looks really cool. Next time, be sure to light a candle of thanks :-) Also, are you going to church tomorrow?? You might want to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. god I need to stop looking at these. makes me miss Spain so bad.

    ReplyDelete