Sunday, January 30, 2011

Browsing El Rastro!

So Madrid has this large outdoor market each Sunday until 3.  It is like eastern market in D.C. except it is about 10 times larger.  Really.  It is so much to take in that Charlotte, Jen (the girls I went with), and I had to walk up and down it a few times to even begin taking it in, and we didn't even see all of it!!!  This is how we spend last Sunday....


 There was a lot of American stuff and more British/American bands.  This one stand had baby wear like this Guns 'n' Roses Bib and there were ACDC and Metallica onesies.  I loved it.

Here are Charlotte (left) and Jill inquiring about a pair of really cool 5 euro shoes.  Unfortunately they did not have them in the right size for Charlotte.

 Giant Gummy bears in a story MADE OF GUMMY BEARS.
 Right next to the Candy Store there were little backpacks with the psychic Octopus on them.  They really love him here since they did win and all haha!
 La Plaza Mayor
Just about every town has a Plaza Mayor.  It is the central portion of the town and so for Madrid this was the central portion of the ORIGINAL city of Madrid.  It is a beautiful square with people relaxing at cafe's all along the sides.

 He was paining on glass and then selling them.  It was impressive.

So earlier that day we were trying to find a good Churro place.  I wanted to go to the one I'd gone to 4 years earlier when I was in high school.  I couldn't find it....I knew it was somewhere off of La Puerta del Sol and I knew I'd recognize it if I could find it...but I couldn't.  As we were walking Charlotte pointed out a place.  When I looked at where she was pointing.....IT WAS THE CHURRO PLACE!  I was so happy for that wonderful moment of nostalgia!  It was exactly the same.  It was down an ally that began with a little white theater where our group had sat to eat our churros and chocolate.

It had the same little green door and the same green interior.  It was such a nice reminder of my trip before.


 They gave us SO many large churros and the most WONDERFUL chocolate I have had in Spain. They are made fresh and always warm when you get them and just FANTASTIC. As I was ordering, I got to see what the churros are like right after they are made.
 Cool right???
Eating churros this time reminded me of last time............
Aren't I adorable?  All in all it was a great Sunday in Madrid!

1 comment: