Saturday, March 12, 2011

Exploring El Escorial

So two weekends ago (yes this is how behind I am again), I had to stay in the Madrid area because I had to see a play for my theater class.  I wanted to travel on Saturday though, and there is this monastery an hour outside of Madrid by bus or train that I'd wanted to see.  It is called El Escorial and this is my tale of getting there and seeing it!



So I had planned on going with my friend Kari (she's from Norway) from Spanish class.  We were set to catch the 10:53 train together.  Now the train to El Escorial only left once every hour from our train station.  I went early to wait for the bus since I have to take it to get to the train station.  Well it came late which resulted in me getting off of the bus at 10:51.  I sprinted to the station, bought a ticket, asked a women which platform it was on, and as I was running to that platform the train begins to beep (signaling that it is leaving) and pulls away from the station as I go to touch it.......a WONDERFUL start to the day.

Now I have no phone (as mine is still being mailed from the hostel) and have no idea where Kari is and I assume she doesn't know where I am.  I begin plan B.  I jump on a train to Madrid, hope on the metro there, and catch a bus to El Escorial.  I make it, but am still substantially (+.5hrs) late.  Miracle of miracles, while I am waiting in line I see Kari and yell to her.  She had seen me miss the train and had waited when she arrived in a little restaurant having a cafe con leche until she thought I would have arrived.  We then began our wonderful tour.  Sadly you may not take pictures inside, but I have Google Imaged a few things so you can see them\

Part of the gardens outside.  Since the town is on a hill there is a beautiful view of the country.

El Escorial has a substantial art collection as Phillip II (who lived there parts of the year) enjoyed religious art.  The royal bed rooms have little windows that look down into the Cathedral so that the royal family members could attend mass, but not have to leave their rooms.  How lazy and American like of them!

Shot of the Cathedral Steeple

The most beautiful part of the Escorial, in my opinion, was the royal tomb.  This room houses the remains of every king and queen of Spain from Carlos V until Alphonso XIII who is the current kings grandfather.  There is even space for the current king's parents when they pass.  It is cool and creepy all at the same time!

This room was covered in marble and gold leaf.  It was just beautiful.

They also have the tombs of the royal children and infants who have passed away.  Again, there are still empty tombs so there could potentially be more additions.

Tombs of the children.


Tombs of the infants.  It is difficult to tell from these pictures, but they are much much smaller.  Once again, creepy, but cool.

We then visited the cathedral and the library and headed home.  It was a great way to spend a Saturday!

Cathedral entrance

Close up of the Cathedral entrance.

Library.  It was a beautiful room!

I'm posting more pictures I've stolen just because I like the view they give of the building.


Escorial at Night

2 comments:

  1. I think you're ready to handle Rome. It's full of buildings like this. You're gonna LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete